Friday, July 2, 2010

Keep on Keeping On

Isn’t it funny how quickly time passes? I feel like I just began my work with Faithful Voices, but the truth is I have been here for nearly 10 months. Before we know it, a year will have passed.
The program has evolved and changed as I have settled into my role here. We had a really excellent conference shortly after I arrived, and I have already begun work to make this year’s even better. I have traveled across the state to meet with old and new friends of Interfaith Alliance of Iowa and started genuine, caring conversations with many people. I have strengthened ties of friendship and mutual caring between Faithful Voices and One Iowa and attended or organized events, forums and film showings to continue our work together.
Yet, I feel there is still so much to do.
Despite the fact that I become more confident every day that Marriage Equality is secure legally in Iowa, I still feel that there are far too many Iowans who need to hear progressive voices of faith speak up on the issue. Despite the warm welcome I received when I moved to this state, I feel that there is still much work to be done to make this state more welcoming, not only to LGBTQ people, but to all people. Despite the fact that I have met countless faith leaders who are willing to engage in conversation on difficult issues and to open up their arms and their places of worship to all, I still feel there are too many members of the clergy who are closing doors.
Where do we go from here?
I think the thing to do is to “keep on keeping on.” A large part of the power of community organizing is the ripple effect, the idea that one conversation you have can turn into four other conversations, which turns into sixteen, and so on. For me, this is the difficult part, because it is the part that I don’t get to see. I have faith and trust, however, that all the people I have met with have been sincere in their intentions to open up conversations in their communities. What I need to do now is to continue building relationships with those of you I’ve met and to work on creating new connections.
Have I met with YOU yet? Call me, email me, or write something on the Faithful Voices Facebook page and we will get together and talk about strengthening the movement for protection of Faith and Freedom in your community.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't met, and we probably won't since I'm up in Minnesota. Keep up the good fight! I contribute through www.theliberalspirit.com, a blog of progressive religious themes, especially regarding my own ELCA. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete